Happy Valentine's Day from Greensboro Downtown Parks! To celebrate, this week we're bringing you a playlist filled with songs about love! This playlist features a variety of musical genres from our GDPI program partners and local musicians that. Take a listen to this playlist filled with love songs to get in the Valentine's Day spirit! Cozy up with your loved one and some chocolate covered strawberries or light some candles for a romantic dinner, and let these local artists accompany your evening.
In 2020, our Programs Department was forced to cancel over 50 FREE concerts due to the public health crisis surrounding Covid-19, along with the cancellation of the other 400+ programs we had planned for the community this year. We are hopeful that in Spring 2021, Greensboro Downtown Parks will be able to return to in-person programming. In the meantime, we're bringing you this new blog series - Park Arts Playlists - a new playlist every week, featuring music from artists that either have performed at the downtown parks before or who would have performed this year.
If you're interested in helping us do more to support artists and creative engagement in our community, please consider becoming a donor and contributing to our $10K in 10 Weeks Campaign.
1. What A Lovely Night by Jasmé Kelly:Jasmé Kelly is a talented singer/songwriter from Durham, NC. This R&B song features Jasmé Kelly's smooth, sultry voice, which is the perfect accompaniment for your Valentine's Day celebrations
2. Waste Another Day by Dropping Julia: Lead singer Emily Kresky exudes soulful sass through her storytelling songs. Combined with Sean Bracken (drums), Sam Passe (guitar), Alex Bragg (guitar) and Sebastian Nikischer (bass), Dropping Julia's style is a mixture of mellow and dreamy yet upbeat and funky music.
3. Sweet Love by Abigail Dowd: Abigail Dowd is a Greensboro-based singer/songwriter/guitarist, known for her soulful voice and storytelling lyrics. Sweet Love is a beautiful song featuring Abigail Dowd's soft, ethereal vocals and a guitar chords.
4. Lovers Will Allow by Doug Davis: Based in Winston-Salem, Doug Davis is a talented guitarist, singer, and prolific songwriter. Lovers Will Allow is a soulful tune from Davis's 2008 album, Penny Brown Penny.
5. If I Could Give You My by Justin The BeLoved: Justin The BeLoved is a Greensboro singer, rapper, musician, and producer with a voice that has been poetically described as "coated in honey and kissed by the sun." This song features Justin The BeLoved's smooth vocals combined with groovy, remixed rhythms.
6. Beer, Butter, & Each Other by Admiral Radio: Becca Smith and Coty Hoover were inspired to begin their musical duo, Admiral Radio, after finding a dusty wooden radio in the back of an antique shop. Beer, Butter, & Each Other is a sweet love song duet from Admiral Radio's most recent album, Sounds Like You, which was released earlier in 2020.
7. Years Are The Minutes by Blue Cactus: Blue Cactus is a country duo based in Chapel Hill, NC. Led by Steph Stewart and Mario Arnez, Blue Cactus creates songs ranging from 'gritty honky-tonk to heartbreaking balladry.' Blue Cactus is known for their impressive vocal harmonies and dynamic twang which characterize the band's unique sound.
8. If You Feel (The Way I Do) by Reliably Bad: Reliably Bad is an 8-member Funk Pop band based in Greensboro. If You Feel (The Way I Do) features soft and sultry vocals with an R&B vibe.
9. All We Need Is Love by Sahara Reggae Band: Sahara Reggae Band has been sharing their upbeat and energetic music with Greensboro since 2001. The six band members specialize in Reggae, but also perform in a variety of other genres. However, no matter the style, Sahara Reggae Band brings their sultry vocals and entertaining performance to every song. Sahara Reggae Band share's the perfect Valentine's Day message in this happy reggae tune.
10. Walk With Me by Gregory Amos: Gregory Amos is a talented songwriter, music producer, and saxophonist from North Carolina. This song is the perfect smooth jazz tune to end your Valentine's Day evening with.
Happy listening! Don't forget to check back next Sunday for more songs by local artists and GDPI partners!