Updated: Nov 30, 2020
Rise and shine with this playlist of feel-good songs that will help you start your Sunday right! This playlist features diverse genres with everything from jazz and country to rock and soul. But, what all of these songs have in common is a cheerful, upbeat vibe that will put you in a positive mood so you're ready to tackle the week ahead!
In 2020, our Programs Department was forced to cancel over 50 FREE concerts due to the public health crisis surrounding Covid-19, along with the cancellation of the other 400+ programs we had planned for the community this year. We are hopeful that in Spring 2021, Greensboro Downtown Parks will be able to return to in-person programming. In the meantime, we're bringing you this new blog series - Park Arts Playlists - a new playlist every week, featuring music from artists that either have performed at the downtown parks before or who would have performed this year.
If you're interested in helping us do more to support artists and creative engagement in our community, please consider becoming a donor and contributing to our $10K in 10 Weeks Campaign.
1. Changes You Can Believe In with Wally West: Wally West is an award-winning and critically acclaimed musician from Greensboro NC. Wally West earned a Bachelor's degree in Saxophone Performance from the prestigious Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA in 1983, and now demonstrates his passion for music through performances and teaching his craft. The big brass sound and swinging' jazz rhythm's of Changes You Can Believe In is sure to brighten your mood.
2. Good Time (Mr. Meantime) by J Timber: J Timber is a pop, rock, and soul artist, originally from Queens, NY, but now residing in Greensboro. You're sure to have a good time listening to this smooth groove from J Timber.
3. Since You Asked by Kassem Williams: Kassem Williams is a talented drummer and a 2016 graduate of UNCG. Since You Asked, which is from Kassem Williams's debut album, Universe Soul Pressure, features cheerful chimes and a driving beat to lift your spirits.
4. Some Kind of Easy by Andy Squint: With his bottleneck slide guitar, singer/songwriter Andy Squint brings a taste of Louisiana blues and Americana to his music. Some Kind of Easy is a laid-back song with a bright, picked guitar tune and soulful, storytelling lyrics.
5. Shade (First Love) with SunQueen Kelcey and Justin The BeLoved: SunQueen Kelcey describes her musical style as soul-rock, which is a genre-bending combination of hip-hop, soul, rock, and contemporary R&B. Justin The BeLoved is a Greensboro singer, rapper, musician, and producer with a voice that has been poetically described as "coated in honey and kissed by the sun." This collaboration between SunQueen Kelcey and Justin the BeLoved features the pair's smooth, sultry vocals combined with groovy rhythms that'll instantly improve your mood.
6. Fired Up by John Emil: John Emil is an accomplished singer/songwriter, guitarist, and a master of slide guitar who has performed at various music festivals across the world. Equally adept with the acoustic Hawaiian lap steel guitar and Dobro, Emil performs his own compositions and arrangements of Delta blues and American roots songs. Fired Up has a fun, pop beat that will make you want to jump up and dance!
7. Horizons (feat. Vad75) with Scott Marvill: Scott Marvill is a talented jazz bassist/guitarist, originally from Philadelphia. Horizons features Marvill alongside artists from around the world in Vad75, a smooth jazz project.
8. You and I by Reliably Bad: Reliably Bad is an 8-member Funk Pop band based in Greensboro. You and I features soulful vocals and a big brass tunes that will make you want to tap your foot and sing along.
9. Sunday Morning Groove by Jasmé Kelly: Jasmé Kelly is a talented singer/songwriter from Durham, NC. This R&B song features Jasmé Kelly's smooth, soulful voice, which is sure to get you grooving this Sunday.
10. New Morning by DownTown Abby and the Echoes: With powerful vocals and hard-driving rock 'n' soul rhythms, DownTown Abby and the Echoes first came on to the music scene in Asheville, North Carolina. New Morning is from their 2017 debut album, Leaving You.
Happy listening! Don't forget to check back next Sunday for more songs by local artists and GDPI partners!