Set the mood this Sunday with some syncopated rhythms and soul music. This week, we have a smooth playlist of R&B and soulful songs from our GDPI program partners and local musicians. Sit back, relax, and sway to the beat of this smooth soul playlist.
In 2020, our Programs Department was forced to cancel over 50 FREE concerts due to the public health crisis surrounding Covid-19, along with the cancellation of the other 400+ programs we had planned for the community this year. We are hopeful that in Spring 2021, Greensboro Downtown Parks will be able to return to in-person programming. In the meantime, we're bringing you this new blog series - Park Arts Playlists - a new playlist every week, featuring music from artists that either have performed at the downtown parks before or who would have performed this year.
If you're interested in helping us do more to support artists and creative engagement in our community, please consider becoming a donor and contributing to our $10K in 10 Weeks Campaign.
1. Around by SunQueen Kelcey: SunQueen Kelcey describes her musical style as soul-rock, which is a genre-bending combination of hip-hop, soul, rock, and contemporary R&B. Around is another sultry song from theSunQueen that you are sure to love!
2. Billie Jean by J Timber: J Timber is a pop, rock, and soul artist, originally from Queens, NY, but now residing in Greensboro. Take a listen to J Timber's version of this classic Michael Jackson tune.
3. A Change Is Gonna Come by Gregory Amos: Gregory Amos is a talented songwriter, music producer, and saxophonist from North Carolina. This song is the perfect smooth jazz tune to sit back and enjoy.
4. Keeping It Light by Jasmé Kelly: Jasmé Kelly is a talented singer/songwriter from Durham, NC. This R&B song features Jasmé Kelly's smooth, soulful voice, which is sure to get you grooving this Sunday.
5. Thank God for Mrs. Daniels by Evan Olson and Jessica Mashburn: Evan Olson is an American rock singer and songwriter based in Greensboro. Jessica Mashburn is also a Greensboro singer/songwriter, in addition to being a talented pianist and performer. Mashburn actually performed at the parks recently as part of GDPI's virtual Friendsgiving event. In this song, the duo features the soulful twang of their vocals and a plucked guitar melody.
6. Fool No Mo by Africa Unplugged: Africa Unplugged is dynamic band that uses traditional instruments from West Africa and musical inspiration from around the world. Sit back and enjoy the soft beat and soulful vocals in Let U Go by Africa Unplugged.
7. In My Sleep by Dropping Julia: Lead singer Emily Kresky exudes soulful sass through her storytelling songs. Combined with Sean Bracken (drums), Sam Passe (guitar), Alex Bragg (guitar) and Sebastian Nikischer (bass), Dropping Julia's style is a mixture of mellow and dreamy yet upbeat, funky and soulful music. In My Sleep is the title song from Dropping Julia's latest album release.
8. Phone by Reliably Bad: Reliably Bad is an 8-member Funk Pop band based in Greensboro. Phone features a strong and sultry female lead vocal with bright brass, electric guitar, and drum accompaniment.
9. Lover's Game by TerraBANG: TerraBANG is a 5 member band from Boone, NC, creating music that is a unique blend of hip hop, jazz, and soul. TerraBANG is a band that is "dedicated to spreading love and positivity through their music."
10. Hold Me by DownTown Abby & The Echoes: With powerful vocals and hard-driving rock 'n' soul rhythms, DownTown Abby & The Echoes first came on to the music scene in Asheville, North Carolina. Hold Me is a new release from DownTown Abby.
Happy listening! Don't forget to check back next Sunday for more songs by local artists and GDPI partners!