This Sunday, we have a playlist you'll have on repeat all week as you work from home! This playlist features ambient sounds and instrumental songs from our GDPI program partners and local musicians. The ambient music of this playlist will help you get in the zone and stay focused so you can be productive while you work from home!
In 2020, our Programs Department was forced to cancel over 50 FREE concerts due to the public health crisis surrounding Covid-19, along with the cancellation of the other 400+ programs we had planned for the community this year. We are hopeful that in Spring 2021, Greensboro Downtown Parks will be able to return to in-person programming. In the meantime, we're bringing you this new blog series - Park Arts Playlists - a new playlist every week, featuring music from artists that either have performed at the downtown parks before or who would have performed this year.
If you're interested in helping us do more to support artists and creative engagement in our community, please consider becoming a donor and contributing to our $10K in 10 Weeks Campaign.
1. Mulligan by The Fat Catz: The Fat Catz are a four member band based in Burlington, NC. The Fat Catz are known for captivating their audience with danceable grooves and taking listeners on "a thrill ride of sound." Mulligan showcases the band's iconic guitar work interlaced with melodic synthesizers, driving percussion, and thumping bass. Sit back and listen to The Fat Catz as you start your workday from home.
2. Moon Light by Kassem Williams: Kassem Williams is a talented drummer and a 2016 graduate of UNCG. Moon Light, which is from Kassem Williams's debut album, Universe Soul Pressure, features repeated piano chords and a driving beat to help get you in the zone.
3. Hide Your Smile by Funkelstiltskin: Funkelstiltskin considers themselves "a party band that grew up in the 90s" with a wide range of musical influences, from neo-soul and R&B to grunge and alternative. Funkelstiltskin was founded on campus at Appalachian State University, and the band currently resides in Boone, NC. Enjoy the mellow and funky feel of Hide Your Smile from Funkelstiltskin's 2020 album, Big Chungus.
4. The Walls Becoming the World by Doug Davis: Based in Winston-Salem, Doug Davis is a talented guitarist, singer, and prolific songwriter. The Walls Becoming the World comes from Davis's album Lullabies for Sophie. The combination of Davis' strong, soulful vocals, strumming electric guitar, and driving drum beat create the perfect folk-rock tune for you to listen to on a Sunday morning.
5. Walk With Me by Gregory Amos: Gregory Amos is a talented songwriter, music producer, and saxophonist from North Carolina. This song is the perfect smooth jazz tune to sit back and enjoy while working from home.
6. Blue over Green (Heaven Undone) by Dave Binanay and Adam Tierney: Enjoy the soft instrumentals of Blue over Green, featuring the bright melody of Dave Binanay on violin and Adam Tierney strumming the acoustic guitar that is wonderful to listen to as you work. . Blue over Green is a new release from Tierney and Binanay, which dropped on Spotify in May of this year.
7. Natalia by Daniel Delorenzo: Classical guitarist, Daniel Delorenzo, creates a beautiful and atmospheric sound on his latest album, How Thoughtful. They say classical music is excellent for focus, meaning Natalia by Daniel Delorenzo should be the perfect song for your WFH productivity.
8. Poultney Parade by STIG: STIG features Ryan Stigmon on the saxophone, Thomson “Soy Boy” Knoles on the keys, Jack McChesney on the drums, and Artie Sadtler on the bass guitar. These four musicians bring their improvised psychedelic funk sound from the hills of Asheville, NC to the eyes and ears of their fans across the US. Poultney Parade starts out soft and slow, but brings in a fun beat and some big brass sounds to motivate you throughout your workday.
9. Philly with Scott Marvill: Scott Marvill is a talented jazz bassist/guitarist, originally from Philadelphia. This song is titled with Marvill's home city, and has a soft jazz funk to accompany your work.
10. Butterflies by NathanRyan: Enjoy this relaxing song from folk-rock musician NathanRyan. NathanRyan is known for creating songs adults can enjoy, but with messages that are appropriate for children. After his first child was born in 2013, Nathan shifted his musical focus to start writing songs for his son and to create music that families can enjoy together. The soft and soothing guitar of Butterflies is sure to help your focus--or perhaps put you to sleep at the end of your long work day!
Happy listening! Don't forget to check back next Sunday for more songs by local artists and GDPI partners!